Thursday, June 16, 2011

It's Getting Busier!






I've been getting really busy, and started to slack a bit on the blogging. But here are some updates.

Since the last post, I began taking over the French classes here as well, and it's helpful since I took 4 years in high school but since I had no one to practice it with, my ability to speak it drifted... But it's all coming back to me now, so I review the basics, and then I teach it. Never had a problem with pronunciation, but that throat 'r' is killing my voice on Mondays. Will just have to get used to it :)

I have been private tutoring some adult students in English as well. And I thought it was going to be challenging at first, but I will get the hang of it soon enough. It's helpful when they know the basics so we can just work on conversation.

My fear of commuting alone is gone! I think I just needed to try it once, and I would be fine from then on, and that's exactly what I did. I've taken the bus into the city alone, and I'm lucky to have one bus that goes straight into La Victoria, a few blocks from my home away from home (my grandfather's house where my mom was born and raised). However, I do miss listening to my music while I commute. For safety precautions, I carry no electronics with me, unless it's my camera but I keep it hidden, and the memory card in my bra until I reach my destination. I've turned very Peruvian I must say :D

Update on The Light and Leadership Initiative's 2nd Year Anniversary Celebration: On June 12th, we set up a day of fun games and craft activities for all of the kids we teach, including those up in the higher zones of Huaycan. They enjoyed themselves, and afterwards, the Vocabulary Bee! The English students from all levels competed in a vocabulary contest for which they have been studying English vocab for weeks. It was a good turnout and lots of fun for the kids as well as the volunteers. We had an art exhibition as well, where some of the recent student work was showcased from my art classes, including the Pointilism drawings, and collage landscapes from the workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment