Saturday, May 21, 2011

1st Art Lesson: Inca Gods Finger Puppets


Taught my first art class today to a group of 6-9 year olds, and we went over the different Gods and Goddesses the Incas worshipped during their time in ancient Cuzco. Some of these included Gods of the sun, moon, rain, thunder and lightning, sea and fish, and animals. The kids were to choose one, and interpret their deity on a small shape, which they drew and added other elements to. I have one girl in the class who is deaf, but my volunteer assistant Holli was able to help her individually. I need to make sure that I give her more individual attention as well, although she did wonderfully like the rest of them (first picture above). It's a challenge I know will get easier as time goes on. Overall, it was a successful project, and some kids finished very quickly and were able to make more than two. My student Nicol ended up making 6, even though her goal was 10!
Quotes of the day! (originally in Spanish)
Young 7 yr. old girl: Miss, why aren't you blonde like the other volunteers? You can't be from the United States. You're not a "gringa". (typical word for white/caucasians/europeans/americans/australians)
Me: But I AM from the US. I'm also like you, Peruvian, but an American version. (apparently, she told me her cat is also "gringa" because she is a light haired kitty)


No comments:

Post a Comment